The Széchenyi István University (Hungarian: Széchenyi István Egyetem) is located in Győr, Hungary. The university was established in 2002. It has an excellent reputation in electrical and mechanical engineering and has a partnership with the German car manufacturer Audi.
In 1963 the government made a resolution to establish an architectural university. In 1968 the resolution was changed and the government wished to build a telecommunication university. The university’s predecessor in title, the Transportation and Telecommunication Faculty of Technical Sciences, was established in this year. The faculty trained engineers for the transportation and telecommunication infrastructure. The building of the university was built — an unmatched exception in Hungary, originally for education purposes — on the picturesque bend of the Moson Danubewithin walking distance of the baroque city. In the early 1990s beyong the technical sciences, economical, medical and social programmes became in demand. In 1995 the Eötvös Loránd University set up a law programme here, so the juridical training returned to the city and, since 2002, it is its own programme at Széchenyi István University.The institution bears the name of István Széchenyi the „greatest Hungarian” since 1986. The university offers several courses in BA/BSc and MA/MSc and doctoral schools are available.
The university provides education at three faculties, two institutes, and the doctoral schools:
- Deák Ferenc Faculty of Law and Political Sciences
- Kautz Gyula Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Engineering Sciences:
- Baross Gábor Institute of Built Environment and Transport
- Jedlik Ányos Institute of Informatics, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
- Petz Lajos Institute of Health and Social Studies
- Varga Tibor Institute of Musical Art
- Interdisciplinary Doctoral School of Engineering
- Multidisciplinary Doctoral School of Social Sciences